7 Tips for Pet Wellness
Each October, we celebrate National Pet Wellness Month. This special recognition aims to promote pet health and wellness all month long.
At PetAlive, pet wellness is our mission every day. Helping pet parents raise happy and healthy pets is at the center of everything we do. Whether you’re welcoming a new animal to your family or have had them for years, it’s never too late to start focusing on a healthier lifestyle for your furry friend.
How can you help dogs and cats live their best lives? Let’s take a look at some easy ways you can support your pet’s wellness to help them live a long, healthy life.
What is Pet Wellness Month?
The American Veterinary Medical Association and veterinary clinics co-sponsored the first National Pet Wellness Month in 2004. It was designed as a clinic-centered program to promote pet wellness year-round and educate pet parents about the importance of annual preventive care checkups.
7 Ways to Focus On Pet Health This Month
October is the perfect time to refocus on the basics of pet health and wellness:
- Nutrition In pets as in humans, the old saying holds true: “You are what you eat.” Good nutrition keeps pets healthy and prevents many illnesses. Pet food ingredients vary widely on quality and nutritional value. Look for good quality protein sources and buy the best quality food you can afford.
- Weight control Even with high quality pet food, too much of a good thing is still too much. An overweight pet is more likely to develop problems like Cushing’s disease, skin problem, cancer, bone and joint issues and even heart failure. It’s tempting to give in to “puppy dog eyes” with extra food and treats, but overfeeding your pet can significantly shorten its life.
- Exercise Physical activity not only helps control your pet’s weight, it’s also great for their bones, muscles and tendons. Exercise also helps ward off the physical effects of pet aging. Plus, it gives your animal the mental stimulation they need to be happy.
- Annual veterinary care Give your pet regular at-home exams from nose to tail to catch any developing problems early. Schedule a preventive care vet visit at least once per year. Your vet can keep track of your pet’s overall health, growth and development.
- Dental care About 80% of pets develop dental disease by age 3. Pet dental disease can have serious consequences and cause other health issues. Brushing your dog’s teeth should be part of your regular routine two to three times per week. Call your vet if you notice any dental health concerns such as inflamed gums, bleeding or loose teeth.
- Nail care Overgrown nails are uncomfortable and even dangerous for your pet. There are many styles of pet nail clippers available. Find one that’s comfortable in your hands. Or, ask your groomer for help.
- Quality time Your pet probably wants to spend more time with you! Pets who lack companionship and mental stimulation can become depressed and anxious. This lowers their immune system. Taking the time to interact more with your pet improves their quality of life. If your pet is struggling with you no longer working from home, check out returning to work tips.
Natural supplements for pet health
For a safe, holistic approach to pet wellness, try homeopathic remedies and herbal supplements from PetAlive.
Each 100% natural PetAlive supplement is manufactured using a full-spectrum process. We use FDA-registered facilities and cGMP principals to ensure product safety.
Here are a few of our favorite categories of PetAlive wellness supplements:
- Bones, joints and muscles: Pets need a strong musculoskeletal system, whether they’re exploring the great outdoors or just the other side of the house. Our 100% natural remedies for muscles, bones and joints help support your pet’s overall health.
- Immunity and liver health: Pets suffering from respiratory issues, poor liver function, diarrhea and other issues related to a weakened immune system need extra immune system support. With formulas designed to address specific health problems, pet immune system support and pet liver support supplements can help keep your pet in peak health.
- Behavior and performance: Sometimes pets do things we don’t want them to do. Supplements can provide temporary relief to complement long-term training strategies when you’re working to address pet social behavior and performance issues.
Here at PetAlive, our passion is helping you raise happy and healthy pets. We love that there’s a whole month devoted to educating pet owners about this cause! How will you celebrate National Pet Wellness Month?
- “October is National Pet Wellness Month.” National Today. Accessed September 30, 2022. https://nationaltoday.com/national-pet-wellness-month/
- “October is National Pet Wellness Month: New initiative helps veterinarians educate pet owners about pet aging process, health benefits of twice-a-year wellness examinations.” American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). Accessed September 30, 2022. https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2004-10-01/october-national-pet-wellness-month
- Clinebell, V. “October Is Pet Wellness Month: 10 Tips for Dog Wellness.” Dogtime.com. Accessed September 30, 2022. https://dogtime.com/dog-health/30333-october-pet-wellness-month#5